Budget

Monday, January 11, 2010

I know that in my grandmother's age, it was rude to talk about money.  But this day in age, I think information is the key.  So, to help those of you out there planning a wedding and who want to know how much things cost, here is a budget I submitted a while ago to Weddingbee for Real Readers's Budgets, but it was never posted.  Hopefully it will help you out in your planning process.

The Snowflake’s Budget
Date: 08/29/2009
City, State: West Lake Okoboji, Iowa
Budget: Fluid, estimated approximately $20,000
# of Guests: 75

When planning our wedding we wanted to have something relaxing and fun for all of our family and friends that would be making this a summer vacation since this was semi-destination for most people. We threw in a lot of additional activities and I think everyone had a great time.

Wedding Day Costs
Ceremony/Reception Site Fees/Type of Venue: $250 rental + $50 deposit (budgeted $1000 for original hotel/resort location)
Gull Point State Park Lodge
The Lodge was originally our back-up rain location. Once we started getting into planning with our wedding coordinator, we decided this place fit our personalities/style much more. We had our ceremony outside by the lake and our reception inside the lodge. We had planned on having the dancing and mingling outside, but the weather didn’t cooperate and it was a COLD August night.


Caterer/Food/Drink (per person if available):$5132.00, per person: $68.43 (Budgeted $6000)
Caterer/Bar was provided by Yesterday’s, a local Lake Okoboji restaurant. Dwayne created a custom-made menu for us that turned out so yummy!



To try to save a little money, we purchased our own non-alcoholic drinks for $85

Service Charge/Gratuities: included in above

Bridal Gown & Alterations: $299 from David’s Bridal, no alterations needed. (Budgeted $500)
Although it was my first wedding, it was my second marriage and I didn’t want to go too overboard with my dress. My dress was a David’s Bridal style T9168.

Bridal Accessories (Veil, Undergarments, Shoes, Jewelry): $151.99
I did not wear a veil, but I bought flowers for my hair that matched my dress and added blue dragonflies (something blue) that I already owned. All of the jewelry I already owned. I found my tulle slip on Craig’s List for $10 (score!). My shoes were from David’s Bridal online (style Grace – which is my youngest daughter’s name).


Groom’s Attire: $250 + $40 alterations (Budgeted $500)
Mr. Snowflake bought a suit on clearance from JCPenny. We figured he’d be able to wear it again in the future. He looks so handsome :), I couldn’t stop looking at him all day.

Kid’s Attire: $260 (Budgeted $500)
Because we have five kids between the two of us, this was an added expense to our budget.
Jr. Miss. S got a Jr. Bridesmaid dress that matched the “big girls” dresses (she was totally bummed out that she couldn’t have hers in a strapless style too – yikes!).
Little Miss. S’s dress was the first thing bought for the wedding. I was going to go with a lighter green (more like Tinkerbell green), but Mr. S didn’t really like it. Since it was such a good deal ($25 at a bridal show), I figured we’d just tie it in by adding a sash.
I also bought little dragon fly barrettes from an Etsy seller for their hair.
For the boys, I let them go completely comfortable (although, they were all for dressing up too – I thought it’d be too much for Mr. S though trying to get ready too). They wore simple outfits purchased from JCPenny.

Stationery/Postage: $310 (budgeted $500)

Photography: $1700 (budgeted $3000 with original photographer)
I LOVE our photographer. Laura at Laurelle Photography was awesome to work with and really captured our day.
Her fee was actually less than what is stated above because we had another photographer originally booked, but we didn’t work with her and lost that deposit. That photographer also printed our signature frame used for our guest book which is included in the above cost.

Videography: $0 none
Ceremony Music: $0 – used pre-recorded music that the band played on their equipment.
Reception Music: $1800 (budgeted $1500)
The Mighty Nish Band did a great job. They played for our cocktail hour and for 2 hours during the reception. They did a great job keeping our guest entertained. They also played at the Barefoot Bar the night before during our RD (a coincidence – but they did ask permission before accepting the gig).


Flowers: $307 (budgeted $600)
Ordered bulk flowers from Sam’s Club and I made my bouquet and my daughter’s pomanders out of fake flowers.




Favors: $225 (budgeted $150)
Since we were going to be at the lake all weekend, I thought the koozies would be nice for keeping drinks cool. I ordered them from www.KustomKoozies.com

I also had a ton of flip-flops for men and women to relax their feet (although only the kids took them).

Cake: $222 (budgeted $150)
The cake and cupcakes were done by Cakes By Sara, a local baker. I sent inspiration photos and this is what she came up with:
Also, I ordered the cupcake tree and decorated it myself from www.cupcaketree.com
The dragon flies were from an Etsy dealer

Officiant: $100 (budgeted $150) Justice of the Peace
Coordinator: $1000 (not originally budgeted)
Hair/Makeup: $125 (budgeted $200) Included the trial and day-of services
Wedding Party Gifts: $75 (budgeted $100)
Transportation: $0 none
Hotels: $325 (budgeted $600)
Misc: $900 (budgeted $500)
This includes all the decorations and rentals for the Lodge. Sadly, I bought tons of decorations that were not used (was originally going to go with a more beach theme and they didn’t fit in with the Lodge), but I will try to sell on Craig’s List & Wedding Bee Classifieds to recover some of these costs.

Some of the stuff from the kids table (the glow bracelets and bubbles were a HUGE hit).
I love candles – can’t you tell?



WEDDING DAY TOTAL: $13,378.00
TOTAL COST PER PERSON: $178.29
(divide wedding day total by # of guests)

All Inclusive Costs:
Wedding Bands: $3600 (not budgeted)
Rehearsal Dinner/Day After Brunch: RD $1125 (budgeted $1500); DAB $351 (budgeted $500)
Boat rental/Cabin rental for the wedding weekend: $1300
Honeymoon: $4500 (Budgeted $6000)
Boudoir Pics for Groom’s gift: $270 (not budgeted)
Laura was originally only my boudoir photographer. She did a great job and Mr. S loved his album 

ALL INCLUSIVE TOTAL: $11,146.00
GRAND TOTAL: $24,524
(wedding day total + all inclusive total)

1 comments:

Eva Carper said...

I'm giving away a Tungsten wedding ring!! That's a way to save on a budget!!

http://nottheusualtickingclock.blogspot.com/2010/01/giveaway_26.html

Post a Comment