Our Wedding Ceremony

Monday, November 9, 2009

It was finally time...
Mr. S took his grandparents to their seat and then he and our officiant waited at the front.
The band started playing the CD I burned with Norah Jones singing "Love Me Tender".
The Juniors started walking down the aisle, followed by my two bridesmaids.









The little kids came out and then it was my turn with my parents. 










I was so excited.  I hardly even remember any of this.  It went by SO fast. 
Before I knew it, my parents and I were at the front and handed me off to Mr. S.

(Mr. S seeing me walk out...see, even if you do a first look, you can still get a great groom looking down the aisle picture)


I felt like we walked SO slow.  And my mom and I were so worried about tripping.





















I wrote our ceremony by pulling bits and pieces from places.


Welcome! Good afternoon, family and friends

We have come here today to celebrate the wedding
of Mr. and Mrs. S

On behalf of Mr. and Mrs. S, thank you for joining us
They are delighted that you have come to share in their joy
During this special day
By your presence, you celebrate with them
The love they have discovered in each other
And you support their decision to commit themselves to a lifelong relationship
Today represents not only the joining of Mr. and Mrs. S
But also the joining of their children families and friends






Marriage is a bond to be entered into only after considerable thought and reflection.
By making this commitment today, Mr. and Mrs. S’s relationship
will become stronger, better, and deeper
Today, Mr. and Mrs. S demonstrate their devotion to each other
By dedicating themselves to a life together
And they show their respect for each other
By setting forth to honor the vows they have created
Today, their lives, which began on separate paths, will be joined as one

A Special Reading Before Vows:

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment.
At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way.

All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with ”When we’re married”” and continued with “I will and you will and we will” - those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” - and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart.

All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things we’ve promised and hoped and dreamed - well, I meant it all, every word.”

Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another - acquaintance, friend, companion, lover and even teacher. For you have learned much from one another in these last few years.

Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this is my husband, this is my wife.


I (name), take you (name) to be my (husband/wife), my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live.











For thousands of years,
Lovers have exchanged rings as a token of their vows
Let these rings be a sign that love has a past, a present, and a future
Through you and within you


Mr. S, take Mrs. S’s ring and place it on her finger and repeat after me:
I give you this ring as a sign that I choose you
To be my lover, my partner and my best friend, to the end of my days
Wear it, think of me, and know that I love you


Mrs. S, take Mr. S’s ring and place it on his finger and repeat after me:
I give you this ring as a sign that I choose you
To be my lover, my partner and my best friend, to the end of my days
Wear it, think of me, and know that I love you

Mr. and Mrs. S, we have heard your promise to share your lives in marriage.

We recognize and respect the vows you have made here this day
Before each one of us as a witness.

In the honesty and sincerity of what you have said and done here today,
And in accordance with the laws of the state of Iowa
It is my honor and delight to declare you henceforth
To be husband and wife



You may seal your vows with a kiss

(I was a little over excited about the kiss)















That was our ceremony.  Now it's time to PARTY!!!
Will you write your own ceremony?

0 comments:

Post a Comment