My DIY Projects

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I'm really not a DIY-er. I'm not crafty in any way at all. Usually if I want something crafty, I'll spend more just so that I don't have to do it and buy something pre-made in the store. So I don't know what hit me, but I decided to do a couple of DIY projects for the wedding. One came out great, the other is a work in progress (I lost interest so it's still sitting on my kitchen counter).
My first project was pomander balls for my daughters to carry (since I'm not about to spend $130 on their bouquets). I had seen tons of great balls, so I was a little worried about how mine would come out.
Step One: Take the styrofoam ball and attach a ribbon. I had trouble attaching the ribbon, so I improvised. I made a loop out of ribbon and then attached it by wrapping string around several times to secure it to the ball, then hot glued it with a low heat gun for an extra measure.
Step Two: Start attaching the flowers. I was surprised by how many flowers I used to create these. I ended up having to do it in two days because I had to go back to the store for more flowers. Basically, cut them off the bunches (if you use bunches) leaving at least 1-2 inches of the stem. Insert into the ball to make a hole and then pull back out. Squeeze some hot glue into the hole and then reinsert the flower. Repeat like a million times.

Step Three: Continue inserting flowers and filling in holes as you go. I went with a well-packed ball, if you wanted you could do it more loosely.

Step Four: Finish and hang by the ribbons. If you leave them on a flat surface one side will get flat.


A pretty easy project, if I say so my self.
My next project was creating the submerged flower with floating candles for some of the tables. This did not turn out so well, so I'll have to try something else. Like I said, for now it's sitting on my counter being ignored.
What DIY projects did you attempt?

0 comments:

Post a Comment