The Planner

Monday, April 6, 2009

I'm a very hands on person. I want things a certain way and I'm the only one that can do them that way (a little bit of a control-freak: yes, but at least I admit it). So, I never planned on having a wedding coordinator, not even a day of coordinator (DOC). Looking back now, that was CRAZY talk because I love, love, love my planner. How did I decide to get one? Well, it all started with the business travel I mentioned.
Technically, I was not supposed to travel with my job description. A train project changed all of that. Last June/July, I had to travel for a month. Really sucked being away from Mr. S and the kids, but at least I got to come home on the weekends and got to meet them in Okoboji for the 4th of July. Then, right when Mr. S wanted to make a BUNCH of decisions about the wedding and needed vendor research done, I was getting pulled out of town again for an indefinite amount of time. He's not the type to wait for things (notice: he proposed just three months after we started dating) he's not patient at all. He was also getting pulled away to travel for work at the time, so we needed someone else to do the "leg" work for us.
This is where Brandy comes in. She had done weddings at almost every place around the lake area and has a lot of experience with many of the vendors there. When we needed to figure out the block of hotel rooms, she called them all for rates and gave us her opinions about the rooms available at each hotel. She ran around talking to caterers and found us a great price for what we're getting. She's helped us figure out flowers and where to get my hair/makeup done. She's given us tons of decorating ideas. She'll do the coordinating of all of the vendors and all of the decorating on the day of the wedding. I may even control my "controlling" behavior and just stay away the day of until it's all put together (we'll see). She has completely changed my view of wedding coordinators and I'm SO GLAD I have her.
Did you change your mind about Wedding Coordinators or DOC's at your wedding once you got into the "weeds" of planning?

0 comments:

Post a Comment